Calendar & Reservations
This center offers Instructional Classes, open recreation, sports programs, special events, after school programs, and a summer day camp. The fitness room (ages 18 and over) is designed to develop and/or enhance fitness levels of all participants from beginners to advanced. It includes a multi-gym weight machine, dumbbells and barbells with flat, seated, and adjustable benches; bicycle and treadmill, abdominal machine and neck deck. A two-mile indoor walking track is also available for use in the gymnasium.
The Doris Miller Pool (outdoor, open summer only) includes a 9,594.5 square foot pool area and 3,333 square foot spray play area. It features a zero depth beach entry and has a maximum depth of five feet. The pool includes many activity features that are found at commercial water parks including geyser sprays, animal sculpture sprayers, a spray tunnel, a 9″11′” tube slide, and spa jet seating area. The pool area has a maximum capacity of 400 people.
Pool Registration Policies & Procedures:
For the 2022 Summer Season participants must have a valid pool pass for entrance into Doris Miller Swimming Pool. Season begins Saturday, June 11 to Labor Day, September 5.
- All registration must be completed in person and a parent or legal guardian is required to be present to register any participants under the age of 18. All participants registering must have their picture taken to be eligible to receive their pool pass. Each participant will be given a Pool Pass at the conclusion of the registration process.
- Registration participants 18 or older must show proof of Newport News residency and age to complete the process: This can be a Picture ID, Virginia Driver’s License or Military ID.
- All registration participants 17 and under must register with at least one parent or legal guardian. The participant must provide proof of Newport News residency, Parent and child relationship and age to complete the process: Proof of identification: Birth Certificate.
- Early Registration for Doris Miller Swimming Pool will by accepted at Doris Miller Swimming Pool:
Monday – Friday, June 13 – June 17, 1:00 PM – 4:45 PM
Please Call BMAC for questions about the pool and registration 591-4573.
Doris Miller Swimming Pool
Pool is open June 18th, 2022 – Aug 27th, 2022
We will reopen again September 3rd & 5th for the holiday weekend.
Hours of Operation:
Weekdays: 12:00 PM – 5:45 PM
Saturday: 12:00 PM – 4:45 PM
Holidays: 1:00 PM – 4:45 PM
August hours subject to change
- All patrons must have current pool pass key card to enter the facility
- No loitering (patrons who are not supervising children 12 and under must participate in pool activities
- Proper swim attire is required to enter the facility. (No street clothes allowed!)
- No cuts off or undergarments will be allowed as swim attire
- Children 12 years old and younger must be accompanied by an adult (18 years and older) at all times. 1 Adult to 4 children 12 years and under.
- Showers are required before entering the pool.
- No running, rough play, sitting on someone’s shoulder, pushing, shoving, dunking, spitting, spouting or profanity.
- No diving allowed at Doris Miller Swimming Pool any time.
- No outside flotation devices, balls, or toys.
- Tight fitting rubber or plastic pants must be worn over diapers.
- Items not permitted: glass objects, gum, radios, alcohol, weapons.
- No swimming in the slide area while the slide is open.
- Per City ordinance, smoking is NOT permitted within 100 yards of a recreation facility.
- If you lose your key tag you will be charged $5.00 for a replacement.
- Lifeguards have final authority
- Aquatic Staff and Security have authority to remove patron(s) from facility if compliance with above rules is not adhered to
- Aquatic management reserves the right to deny access to, or suspend patrons for any length of time as deemed appropriate.
PARTICIPANTS MAY REGISTER FOR INSTRUCTIONAL CLASSES YEAR ROUND.
- See here for Instructional Classes and registration information.
- Checks or money orders are to be made payable to the CITY OF NEWPORT NEWS.
- All classes have a minimum and maximum attendance and are subject to change if there is insufficient enrollment.
- Check each class description for time frame and meeting days.
- Call 926-1400 for more Instructional Classes information.
- After School Program
Doris Miller is offering an after school program for school age children that promotes social, emotional and physical development. This program will offer home work assistance/computer time, creative arts, craft projects, challenging gym activities, table games, fun excursions, special events and much more. Sign up today! For more information call 757-926-1400 or register online at www.RedefiningPlay.com
FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL 247-8603/8622