Open Recreation Hours:
Brittingham-Midtown Aquatic Center is open for lap swim, water fitness classes, private swim lessons, and family swim.
See the monthly Aquatics Calendar for specific days and times for the programs.
For specific information about swim lessons or water fitness classes, call 757-591-4573.
- Rental Information Brochure
- Facility Reservation Guide
Newport News Parks and Recreation plans and schedules a variety of affordable activities at the Brittingham-Midtown Community Center including Youth Programs and Active Lifestyles (50+). Whether you are planning your company’s offsite meeting, or your child’s birthday party, the Brittingham-Midtown Community Center has a space designed especially for you.
The multipurpose rooms range in capacity from 30 to 80 seats. The center also features several specialty rooms for your events, including two fully-equipped kitchens, two mirrored dance rooms, and two stages for theatrical rehearsals and performances. The aquatic center, gymnasium, and outdoor pavilion are also available for special events and functions. See the Brittingham-Midtown Community Center Rental Brochure.
To arrange for a tour or to receive more information, please call 757-591-4853.
- See the current month’s Aquatics Division Newsletter & Aquatics Calendar (PDF)
- For Aquatic Center information, see Facility and Program information
- Only 50m by 25yd multi-use indoor pool in the Hampton Roads region
- Two 1 meter, and one 3 meter diving boards
- 14 foot deep diving well
- Moveable bulkhead for sectioning activities
- ADA accessible ramp
- Retractable roof for natural lighting
- Seating for 500
- Colorado timing system
- Water fitness classes with certified instructors
- Certified American Red Cross Lifeguards
- American Red Cross Learn-to-Swim classes: Private Swim Lesson Request Form
- Authorized provider of American Red Cross lifeguarding and water safety instructor courses
- Full-length basketball court with volleyball capabilities
- Court encircled by walking track
- Performance Stage
- Seating for 200
Open Air Pavilion
- 14,000 square feet
- Two full-sized basketball courts with tennis capabilities
- 8 flexible use rooms
- Two demonstration kitchens
- Computer lab for instructional purposes
The Active Lifestyles Program at Brittingham-Midtown Community Center (BMCC) offers an early morning track-walking program in addition to its later scheduled fitness classes.
Instructional classes (led by certified instructors) are scheduled throughout the week at BMCC. Multimedia painting and drawing classes, line dancing, Boot Camp for Seniors are offered. The “Essence of Modeling” class is held quarterly for those wishing to join the Fasion Elegantes Modeling Club. Walk with Ease, an Arthritis Foundation program, is offered on a re-occurring six-week basis.
Throughout the year, the Center also offers AARP Defensive Driving classes, health, nutrition and safety seminars, as well as cultural enrichment programs. Clubs include Rubber Stamping, Bridge, National Mahjong, Bunco, and Pinochle. A Bingo Blast is held once a month. Pickleball is played twice a week. Canasta meets two times per month. Other programs include: Joy of Water Color Pencils, Knitting/Crochet/ Embroidery, Meditation & Aromatherapy, Book Club, and guest speakers on safety, health, community resources, and wellness.