In April 2006, the city’s first Dog Park, named Fido Field, was opened in Riverview Farm Park. With over one acre of open area, Fido Field is a great place for you and your dog to socialize and exercise. Our goal is to provide a safe and well-maintained park for you and your dog to enjoy together.
Note: Your dog must be registered to use this park (registration information below).
- 1-acre area for all dogs
- Covered benches
- Water fountain for dogs and handlers
- Wheelchair accessible area
Before entering the dog park, you must register your dog. Please complete the Fido Field Registration Form (PDF). You will also need tags and records indicating all vaccinations are current, including rabies, distemper, parvovirus, and bordetella, as well as dog license registration with the city / county of residence. Bring these records to one of the following registration sites:
- Newport News Parks and Recreation
700 Town Center Drive
Newport News, VA 23606
Open weekdays 8 AM – 5 PM
- Riverview Gymnastics Center
125 City Farm Road
Newport News, VA 23602
Open Monday – Friday, 8 AM – 5 PM, and Saturday, 9 AM – 6 PM
- Riverview Farm Park Concession
105 City Farm Road
Newport News, VA 23602
Open weekends May through August
- Newport News Park Campground
13564 Jefferson Ave.
Newport News, VA 23603
Open daily 7 AM – 7 PM
Registration Fee: Annual registration is available for a fee of $15 per year for the first dog ($10 for additional dogs residing at the same residence). Fido Tags are valid January 1-December 31. Registration fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Fido Field Rules
- Park is open sunrise to 9:00 PM daily.
- Off-leash in dog park; on-leash everywhere else.
- Dog must be a member.
- All dogs shall wear visible licenses and dog park I.D.
- All dogs must be legally licensed and vaccinated (rabies, distemper, parvovirus, and bordetella).
- No more than two dogs per owner / custodian in the area at a time.
- A basic flat buckle collar or harness is required within the park (no choke, prong, pinch, or spike collars).
- Puppies under 4 months old are not permitted.
- Children under the age of 13 are not permitted in the off-leash area. Children ages 13-16 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Spayed or neutered animals are recommended.
- Dogs with a known history of dangerous behavior are prohibited.
- No dogs in heat.
- Immediately leash and remove a problem dog (aggression, mounting, etc.).
- Excessive barking is prohibited. Dogs barking excessively must be removed.
- Owner / custodian must remain inside, with leash, within view and voice control of their dogs at all times.
- Owner / custodian is responsible and liable for their dog’s behavior.
- Park users and dog owners / handlers assume all risks.
- All owners / custodians are responsible for immediately cleaning up and properly disposing of dog excrement in proper receptacles (provided).
- Owner / custodian must fill any hole created by their dogs.
- City ordinance prohibits smoking within 100 yards of any recreational facility.
- No food allowed within the fenced area.
- Dogs are not permitted inside the Gymnastics Center.
Special activities are scheduled throughout the year.